Thursday, July 24, 2008

Funny Money


In an age of electronic funds transfers and online bill paying, endorsing and depositing checks is a satisfying endeavor. Even though I'm just feeding envelopes into an ATM as opposed to handing it to a bank teller, the tactile aspects of capital being transferred into my account can be a neat little perk of an otherwise dull day. The only thing more thing rewarding than actually depositing funds is knowing that they were earned in an enjoyable way.

Yesterday as I was signing the back of a couple checks, it occurred to me that they were both remuneration for being funny. Or at least trying to be. One was payment for my first commentary piece on WBEZ and the other was from a road show performance with Whirled News Tonight. Together they totaled a few hundred bucks ... not quite enough to purchase the jetpack I've been eyeing. Still, some nice coin for doing something that I actually enjoy.


No matter what your chosen field or professional level, the overall concept of "a job" is simple: do task, get reward. I get the basic premise that since everyone's searching for the easiest route to well-being, nobody really wants to work and everyone definitely wants to get paid.
But over time this leads to jobs being viewed not as a means of earning a reward, but more of an obstacle to getting what's rightly yours. By that approach, there's no way not to eventually view a job as a daily source of agitation.

According to the prevailing attitude, the best most people can hope for is to find a vocation that doesn't drive you insane and provides some semblance of personal satisfaction. But even people in (what most consider) fun jobs like actors and athletes find ways to complain about them. The only logical conclusion is that disdain for one's job was somehow superglued into our DNA when God created Man on the sixth day ... which was actually due the third day but He was totally procrastinating.

So anyway, back to these checks.

This wasn't the first time I've been paid for something that didn't feel like work. But when I the realization struck me yesterday, I finally remembered to turn on my brain's Tivo so I could store the feeling and replay it whenever I got stuck in the muck of a regular day job, no matter what that day job was ... unless the day job is as a bank teller, I mean.

That job is lame. Use an ATM.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Congratulations on the 'Funny Money'. I am sure there is plenty more coming your way. I have been laughing at you, all of your life! Wink wink! When you are rich and famous, just remember your poor old Mama!

Corry said...

Funny Money.. must be a wonderful thing. I can make people giggle from time to time.. and don't get a damn dime.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY..

I've been practicing your signature, and believe I have it down to the very pressure you use as you write.. J o l i - P - G S n.
So.. I am thinking about hanging around your mail box, because I'm pretty sure I can sign your name on one of those crazy applications ("You've already been approved!") for a new Visa card.
Crate and Barrel here I come!!

Incidentally, some years ago I recorded some little thing at WBEZ about freedom in America. At the time the station was in the Southern suburbs . I won a prize, I think it was a Thesaurus, (woo-hoo!)but nobody ever paid me a dime.

The story of my life.. I've been giving it away for free for all these years. *sigh*.. If I only knew then...what I know now....
I'm so proud of you that you are able to capitalize on your ability to be amusing.
(Amusing:, delightful, diverting, enjoyable, entertaining, pleasurable
I didn't say the Thesaurus didn't come in handy from time to time.)


Now you just ignore that new Visa bill that comes in.. my girls need back to school clothes.

Favorite Aunt Nancy & Uncle Kevin said...

Isn't it wonderful that you found something that you REALLY enjoy? Most people look their whole life and never find their "nitch". And then to get paid for it to boot - what a thrill!
Your humor is worth a lot more than you are getting paid now. But the inner reward of being able to make people smile or laugh is priceless. Keep up the good work, John. And when you're rich and famous, to hell with your mother - remember who your favorite aunt is - (and don't you DARE say Corry!).
But in the meantime, it is awful nice of you to buy Aunt Corry's girls some new school clothes. Good thing she already has a thesaurus - I hear those are expensive.

Corry said...

Hey, Aunt Nancy~

That's twice you made me giggle on this blog.

What do I owe you??

Favorite Aunt Nancy & Uncle Kevin said...

If John can get paid for making people laugh, then so can I. So for those of you who don't own your own thesaurus, that would be: coins, printed bills, meadium of exchange, cash, currency, lucre, wampum, bread, cabbage, dough, gelt, green, jack, lettuce, long greens, mazuma, moola, scratch, or funds. See, you're not the only one who owns a thesaurus!

Favorite Uncle who's name starts with Steve said...

Johnny ~ the old adage "if you like what you do, you will never work a day in your life" comes into play here. I'm still waiting to like what I do, therefore I can honestly say that work s_ _ _ s and I’m still not sure what I want to do when I grow up ~ oh yea! I want to be your agent; just call me 007. Keep up the good work; I love your BLOG.....