Friday, July 11, 2008

Air Apparent


It's strange that I would find myself on Navy Pier twice in just over a week, but today during lunch I went there to record a humorous (I hope) commentary for WBEZ, the Public Radio station here in Chicago. The idea to submit a piece to the station came from an improv pal, an exceedingly talented writer who's had several original pieces air on local and national public radio. This is actually the second submission I've had accepted by WBEZ ... the first one aired last month and is still in their archive here.

Recording at the station is a neat experience. On one side of the desk is me with a mic, headphones ("cans" to the professionals) and my script. On the other side, behind a console that would look right at home in Cape Canaveral, sits the producer.
Besides setting the audio levels, the producer provides dramatic direction like "Make it more conversational," "Try to sound really authoritative here" and, my biggest note, "Slow down!". Sometimes the instruction ran counter to my instincts, but I trust he'll select the best parts of several readings into a two-minute masterpiece that will, no doubt, make radio history.

If you're interested, the piece recorded today is scheduled to air next Monday (7/14) between 9-10am CDT ... tune in to 91.5 FM if you're in Chicago or get the
streaming feed linked at: http://wbez.org/default.aspx. Thanks for checking it out!



FOLLOW UP (7/14): If you missed the piece live, catch it on WBEZ's site here. Thanks!!


6 comments:

Favorite Aunt Nancy & Uncle Kevin said...

I can't wait. I LOVED your last radio spot. When you're rich and famous, please remember who is your FAVORITE aunt! Thanks for the heads up about the radio spot.

Favorite Aunt Nancy & Uncle Kevin said...

Read the transcript of your radio spot today. FANTASTIC!
Those commies cannot get away with limiting our coffee consumption. How dare they try. Thanks for being alert and letting other know about this outrage!

Peggy said...

Hey John, heard the radio spot this morning. FANTASTIC! Great job! Can't tell you what a thrill it is to be the "Mom" of the voice on the radio! Could not be prouder!L,H&K - Mom

John P. Glynn said...

Uh ... why is "Mom" in quotes?

Is there something I should know?

jpg

Corry said...

Give me my BIG GULP, or give me death!

Next they will limit the - - all you can eat salad and breadsticks at Olive Garden!!

They must be stopped.. and now!

albaugh said...

"Venti or death!"

"Uh... Venti, please"