Monday, August 18, 2008

John Solo


Most of last week I had the place all to myself. Brooke's big birthday present from her Mom was a trip to a fancypants all-inclusive resort in Costa Rica which, needless to say, is a swell cushion to any blow that comes with turning 30.

The group left out of Midway Airport early early last Wednesday morning. Brooke said she'd call during a brief layover in Atlanta, but didn't have the chance to. Then I wasn't surprised when she didn't call to say they landed in Costa Rica since the international rates would be mucho expensivo. Taking for granted the ease of global communication, I never asked Brooke to give me her flight or hotel info. It was strangely unnerving to think that I had no way of getting a hold of her in an emergency like, say, I was at the grocery store and couldn't remember if we needed peanut butter or just bought some. What is this, 1998?

Despite the lack of verbal confirmation, I wasn't especially concerned that they didn't make it safely. Put bluntly: if the plane crashed, I would have heard about it. So, content in the knowledge that Brooke was just too busy having a great time, I gave up worrying and settled in to catch up on some shows that were collecting cobwebs on the DVR. Specifically, I had several episodes of The First 48 to watch.

If you've never seen it, The First 48 is a terribly addictive crime series on A&E which, I reluctantly concede, falls in the otherwise deplorable "reality TV" genre since it's not scripted. The show follows actual homicide detectives during the first 48 hours of a recent murder investigation. You see police analyzing the crime scene, questioning suspects and, more often than not, charging someone with the offense.

With few exceptions, the resolution is pretty clear from the beginning
there are almost none of the complicated twists you'd find in the average network cop drama. The down side of such an entertaining but unfiltered look at criminal justice is the real acknowledgment of the potential violence in any urban environment. And that realization is exactly what I didn't need clouding my short-lived satisfaction that Brooke and her fellow travelers made it on time. Now I had a whole new crop of disastrous theories on why they hadn't called.

Yes, I would have heard if the plane crashed ... but what if they never made the flight? Three single women parking in the remote lot of Midway Airport for a pre-sunrise departure? Seems like a great place for some thug to stage an abduction, especially since no one planned on hearing from them for several days anyway. Or what if they did make the flight and got nabbed in Costa Rica?
All I know about the country is that it's in Central America, and all I know about Central America is what I learned in Predator. So since I already assume that everywhere outside of America survives on a robust white slave trade, my mind ran ragged about what unspeakable peril was befalling my girlfriend.

Needless to say, all my semi-comical worrying was for nothing. After a little detective work of my own (thanks, The First 48!), I eventually found the name of their hotel and had Verizon add International Dialing to my service plan just to make a quick call to their room, where Brooke picked up the phone. She felt bad for not calling and wanted to tell me all about the trip there, but
despite the fact I just spent 45 minutes tracking her down 2200 miles away I quickly interrupted her as I envisioned the phone bill digits climbing like years in the Buck Rogers TV show intro.

We agreed to save our all our exciting anecdotes our reunion on Sunday night, which we did. Hers were about frequenting a swim-up pool bar and zip-lining over the rainforest. Mine were about loafing around in boxers and not putting used plates in the dishwasher (which is my M.O. even when Brooke's not jetsetting all over the hemisphere). They had a great time on the trip and I learned that my wild imagination is a horrible roommate.


7 comments:

Corry said...

I'm always amazed by people that have a "difficult time" turning 30. You know what the alternative is???.. death. Thirty is NOTHING, by comparison and a lot less expensive. Thirty is a fabulous age.. young enough to still do whatever it is you want, and old enough to be able to handle snapperheads when they come your way.
I'm so glad that Brooke and her friends had a wonderful time. CR is the next up and coming big vacation destination.. so if you have extra money?.. invest in a condo there.
You may not want to share this with her.. but those swim up bars?? Have you noticed how the men don't get out to use the restroom?.. the drunk women either, now that I think about it. So.. you know what you're swimming in??.. I'm telling you, I've seen this for myself. You can even get to a point where you can tell by the looks on their faces.. exactly when it happens. It's.. sort of like a far off stare, sometimes they then get the chills.. but for certain the water just got a little warmer.

Now, back to the subject at hand..Just a few things to think about, should a similar situation arise again in the future.

First and foremost.. NOBODY.. BUT NOBODY.. wants to abduct three chatty, giggly and excited females as they are about to embark on a GIRLS VACATION. There is not enough duct tape on God's green earth to shut them up, and keep them from commenting and/or poking fun of their abductor...
After the third..
"OH MY GOD YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME WITH THAT THING!",

"You know you're doing that all wrong.. don't you?", OR

"FIGURES...Just like my boyfriend.. absolutely no foreplay!"
and the poor slob would have given up. (God forbid, the gals had been jacked up on a double mocha latte from Starbucks! That triples the irritating factor. They just get more annoying faster.)So, that's your first theory right out the ol' window.

Secondly.. and I'm just spitballin' here..how much do you suppose these ladies would have been worth on the slave trade market? Not that I'm saying it wouldn't have been a terrible thing had it happened.. but I just thought.. we could.. you know... make a little money, network a little, change career directions... perhaps. And if they're skilled???.. Hot-Diggity-Dog...JACKPOT!!
Look, I'm going to have to pay for college soon.. and am always looking for new business opportunities on the horizon.

As far as I can see John, you're just a little neurotic. In the future, when she goes away.. how about.. you shut off the television, put on your pants.. and finish up those dishes. Here's another idea when you're watching those "reality" crime shows?? Let's let the detectives do their own jobs. Nobody is paying you to solve the crime.. right? Tell your brain to take the evening off..afterall, we both know what goes on in the first 48 hours. Didn't we just have relatives that had to give depositions??

Anonymous said...

Here are my pictures...Full of abduction (from Rum) and slavery (to the hot volcanic rock massage).

http://picasaweb.google.com/babecker21/CostaRicaAug13182008

My fellow travelers, smartly, were a few decades my senior...my mom, my aunt susan and my mom's bestfriend, Nan, who recently claimed herself as my Godmother. Note: My mom declared herself as Nan's son, Eric's, Godmother also.

Things I got to do in Costa Rica:

Killed bugs in our room and said the word "nature" every time.

Shared breakfast with an Iguana.

Saw a black Monkey in the rainforest (with WHITE balls).

Kayak in the Papagayo bay.

Zipline over the rainforest (mentioned but way cool).

Rode horseback to hot springs.

Went in hot springs.

Only had 1 drink at the swim up bar.

Amongst other amazing moments like bonding with my favorite women of all time.

It's a great place. AND a great tactic to use when you're turning a significant age, to have something like that to look forward to.

Peggy said...

Brooke, the trip sounds fantastic. I am so glad that you had this opportunity. Unfortunately, I am not computer savy and could not see the pictures. Tom is out of town and it is too late to call John to have him help me. :-( I will for sure have someone help me soon so that I can see them.
I sure hope he cleaned up the place before you got home. Isn't is nice to see that he worried about you? That is what love is all about.

Corry said...

Brooke~

Your pictures look like postcards. They are absolutely beautiful. Even the crabs you had were colorful and fun to view. Was it my imagination.. or did some of those leaves look like rainbows?Looks like you had a lovely time with some wonderful women/sister/friends.

(I still stand by the swim up bar theory.)

Favorite Aunt Nancy & Uncle Kevin said...

Having been in swim-up bars before, I can tell you that after a few drinks you really don't care about the temperature of the pool. (That's why they put little umbrellas in the drinks - to distract you.)
In fact, Kevin and I will be going to one in February.
Glad you had such a good time, Brooke. Take as many good bonding times as you possibly can with your fellow females. Am I right sisters?

Jen said...

I had a weird fascination with "The First 48" when I was on bedrest with this last pregnancy, and watched several marathon showings of the show. What do you suppose that says about my maternal instinct?

Anonymous said...

Great work.