Saturday, August 2, 2008

Friendly Farewell


Fetch thy hanky from yonder dresser drawer … this is a sad one. It took a couple days before I could write about this and, even now, I’m sure to be wiping tears and snot from my laptop (as you might too – consider your keyboard warned).

In late June I posted about taking my dog Dana to the vet for a cough. Fortunately it wasn’t long before we found the right antibiotic to cure it. Unfortunately, as we recently learned, the cough was a symptom of a bigger problem. When he became really lethargic after refusing to eat or drink for a couple days early this week, I took him back to the vet and had my fears confirmed. Blood tests showed that his kidneys were failing.

The docs assured me Dana wasn’t in pain, but made it clear that he was very sick. They gave me the treatment options, none of which sounded favorable for my dog or my checking account. Being the responsible caregivers that they are, however, I was also told that even the most aggre$$ive treatment offered no guarantee of recovery considering Dana’s age and condition.

Everything between the lines was clearly legible.

The trite thing to say is something about this being the hardest decision. Really, the medical diagnosis and my knowledge of Dana’s behavior made the decision itself considerably easy. What’s difficult is the reality of losing a friend and the twelve years of memories that have a nasty habit of rushing back at the most inconvenient time. Especially Thursday morning around 8:15 a.m.

There are a million little details about the past few days that could lend an even sweeter sadness to this post, but I’m not going share everything just to sap it up. Like my conversation with the nurse Wednesday about cremation remains and urn options that seemed straight out of The Big Lebowski. There’s no need to mention that. Or the fact that Dana’s walk to the vet Thursday morning was so comically slow it was almost as if he knew it was The Green Mile. What’s the point of including such a tidbit?

I’m grateful to have this cathartic outlet. If you read the blog, I assume you know me and want to offer your condolences in the comments. Really, though, I’d feel better if you all just go hug your dogs. And if you don’t have a dog, hug a strange dog (assuming the owner isn’t also strange) (or Michael Vick).

Dana was a good dog and a great friend. The last few days have been rough but there is a huge comfort knowing he isn’t suffering. I’ll miss him, of course, but I’ll also have plenty of opportunities to think about him since most of my computer passwords have some version of his name in there. Don’t bother trying to crack my bank login – all the money went to the vet.

For any friends of Dana who may not have seen him in a while, here are links to a few recent photos.

Nursing an injured foot last fall

Reluctantly wearing antlers last Christmas
Showing his spirit on Super Bowl Sunday
Sampling a nearby beach this spring
Hanging out on my parents' deck a few weeks ago

9 comments:

Gogul said...

I'll be sure to play a little Lenny Kravitz and raise one to Dana.

I wish him a good tree to do his business on and a comfy couch with no cardboard to snuggle up on in his better place.

And John, from someone who had to put a dog down at 16 months due to aggressive cancer, as hard as it is, clean your place really well of all Dana leftovers (food bits, hair, etc.), put the toys and leashes away, and put out a few pictures of him. The first two really help to speed up your recovery time and the last one reminds you of the good times so you don't forget him. It helped Amy and I a bunch.

Peggy said...

John & Brook, My heart goes out to you, as after losing Dana's brother (Dexter) on April 1st, I know, only too well, what you are going thru. You were an excellent dog owner and Dana knew that he was loved. Peace LH&K Mom

albaugh said...

Commander Dana, set course for puppy heaven.

Engage.

Patrick said...

Dana Dog-

Snausages are in the pantry, help yourself.

-God

Anonymous said...

Hugging my Cormac now.

-Jady

Anonymous said...

I should have taken your advise and not read this at work {very, very BAD decision. I know how much you loved Dana, and I also know how much Dana loved you; take comfort that in 12 years he never went to bed hungry, cold or scared. Every night his head hit the pillow, hew knew he was loved and protected in HIS house that he let you stay in. Keep your chin up and think of the good times. Uncle Steve

Corry said...

Awwww, Baby.. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Please be patient with people who mean well, but just say the wrong thing. Yes, he was a dog, but was such a huge part of your existence for one-third of your life. But just think.. he and Dexter Dawg..are up in heaven sniffing each other's asses.. as I type.
It will take time to get used to not having him around. Someone talked me into getting a puppy less than a month after losing Lightning the Wonder Dog, and I've not regretted it.

Unfortunately John, there are no words of comfort that will heal that ache in your heart. That being said..
Butch up, pansy ass!!

(feel a little better?)

Love you,
Aunt Corry

Jen said...

Oh, JP. I'm so sorry. We've compared notes over the years about the similarities of our dogs, and so I sympathize so much with your loss. I love that you've chosen to handle Dana's passing with your typical humor and grace, and I know somewhere Dana appreciates it as well. Hang in there - I've gotta' go hug Ani now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Dana JPG, he was a great dog.

Diane and I had to put Samson to sleep earlier this year, and I cried like a baby for several days afterward.

Nothing beats the unconditional love our pets have for us.

Dana was very lucky to have you as an owner, the stories he could tell about your younger days, he could have written a book.