Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dessert Shrapnel


Birthday number 33 is in the can. The otherwise normal Tuesday was brightened by kind greetings that came in via text message, phone, email and Facebook comments. Even as an adult person with a job and responsibilities, I still carry a hint of that little kid excitement all day when it's my birthday and people are making a fuss.

Noticeably unfussy were the people at work. The department's admin assistant is usually good about getting a card and passing it around for signatures, but I've only been at this job six weeks ... so perhaps I just didn't make it on the calendar. Or perhaps like insurance and vacation time, birthday recognition is a fringe benefit accrued over time.

The day was capped over drinks with Brooke (the girlfriend) and some friends, Andrew and Melissa. Brooke made me a hat that said "Birthday Crab," a name I self-applied following a difficult morning. Afterwards, the four of us dined outside on this evening which can only be described as a perfect climate vacuum: no heat, no cool, no breeze. Like Goldilocks sampling ursine oatmeal, it was just right.

There was one distraction from the perfect evening when a well-to-do (and probably well-liquored) older man on the sidewalk got into a heated shouting match with a woman who was panhandling. He accused her of blocking his path and berated her for bothering people near the building where he owned a condo unit. I think most of our fellow diners were rooting for the old guy until he loudly announced "You don't belong here!" which, considering the fact he was white and she wasn't, put an uncomfortably fine point on the encounter. Especially for our friend at the table Andrew, a black guy from London.

Just as the drama was subsiding, the waitress asked "Is there anything else I can get you?" and Andrew replied "A word with that guy if you don't mind."


8 comments:

Corry said...

WooHoo.. I'm first!!!

Yeah.. that birthday excitement, no matter the age, is always something to anticipate eagerly.

I'm glad it was a good one, and ended on an interesting note. Ok, now tell me.. the picture in the first blog? It either looks like a chinese painting on silk, or a tambourine.

John P. Glynn said...

Your guesses are close ... I should have cropped the photo better. It's a Chinese hand drum for the Year of the Rabbit (of which 1975 is one).

I procured the piece a couple years ago from a Chinatown reseller of such antiquities. After lengthy haggling, we agreed on the sticker price of $1.99.

jpg

Laura said...

Congratulations on your blog!
Here's me commenting on your blog- comment comment. I comment on people's blogs that I read.
Happy blogging.

allstar23 said...

John
So sorry we missed your birthday- I really just wanted to wait a few days until the excitement was over and bring it up again. I hope that you had a great day Looking forward to seeing you at Gram's party. Can you come up with a nice toast or speech that perhaps you can give? I think everyone would enjoy it! I hope that you are finishing up with your condo kitchen I know that rehab can be so hard to live with especially a kitchen!! Best to use the excuse you have to eat out all the time. Well we all wish you at least 33 and then some more happy years. You're the best take care and say hi to Brooke
Love ya
Aunt Noreen Uncle Steve and Michael

P.S. Steve has had some great luck with his shot spots call and he will tell you!

Donna & Soren said...

Yaay for John P's blog! I will be a faithful reader. It's just fun to be up in other people's business and everyone should blog. HAPPY HAPPY day after your birthday and we will celebrate with you tomorrow.

-Donna

Peggy said...

I didn't know you were even contemplating a blog. Why is the mother always the last to know? Aunt Corry, God Bless her, told me about it tonight when I called her on the phone.
Honey, your blog is absolutely adorable! I will look forward to reading it often. It was great talking to you ON your birthday, (several times) and I am looking forward to watching you blow out your 33 candles, tomorrow night at Donna's. You have every right to get excited about your birthday each and every year. I know that your BIRTH -DAY is always special to me because, you made me a Mommy for the very first time and for that I will always be grateful! Love, Hugs and Kisses to you. Mom

AnnieR said...

Dear God, that comment from your Mom is lovely.

Patrick said...

I believe Thomas Jefferson was 33 when he wrote the Deceleration of Independence.

So this is kinda like that!